Position: Credit Building Counselor
Position Type: Full Time
Reports to: Director of Programs
Start Date: By June 2018, can begin on a part-time basis in the interim
Working Credit is an innovative and rapidly growing non-profit organization with a mission to help U.S. workers build household financial strength by establishing and then reaping the benefits of a good FICO credit score. While poor credit depletes the wages of over a third of American workers, and often prevents those with no or low credit scores from accessing quality housing and good jobs, the path to good credit is shorter than many people think. By offering credit building education, counseling and products through the employer as an employee benefit, Working Credit reaches those employees, ranging across the wage/salary spectrum, who can benefit most. Our low-cost, scalable benefit has two parts: i) we teach employees the rules of credit scoring through a 45-minute workshop at the workplace; and ii) we offer workshop attendees 18 months of one-on-one credit building assistance. Throughout the 18 months, we support employees as they establish and sustain strong FICO credit scores, and then use those scores to reduce personal or household expenses inflated by poor credit or no credit.
Since its launch in 2015, Working Credit has demonstrated strong proof of concept, and is now rapidly moving to scale. This position provides an opportunity to work for an entrepreneurial and fast-growing start-up with a mission to improve the financial health and resilience of workers across the country. Working Credit is seeking a full-time Credit Building Counselor to provide credit building education and counseling to employee clients. The Counselor will deliver each component of Working Credit’s employee benefit.
• Using Working Credit’s proprietary curriculum, conduct 45-minute workshops covering the ins and outs of the credit scoring system, how credit impacts an employee’s finances, and effective strategies for building or establishing credit. The workshop is a prerequisite to individualized counseling, and as such, is used as we launch with new employers or onboard new groups of employees at an existing employer client.
• Provide one-on-one credit building counseling to employee clients. This includes:
Preparing a financial profile and budget, conducting an in-depth review of the credit report and score, and applying best practices in credit building to develop a personalized credit action plan with detailed steps the client can take to establish and/or improve their FICO credit score;
Pulling and analyzing a new credit report and credit score for every client every 6 months and preparing a personalized report to the client explaining how and why the credit score changed, how to continue building credit and how to reap the financial benefits of improved credit – within the context of any changes in the employee’s circumstances;
Responding to client questions and requests for guidance throughout the 18-month term of the benefit; providing coaching services to clients if requested;
Connecting participants, when needed, to credit building products, such as secured credit builder loans and secured and unsecured credit cards.
• Enter, track and update client data, and ensure clients’ files are accurate and secure in Working Credit’s Salesforce Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
• Other duties as assigned.
This position assumes an interest in supporting Working Credit’s mission to improve the financial health and resilience of U.S. workers - particularly those living paycheck to paycheck - but does not require industry-specific prior knowledge as we provide the necessary training on all aspects of credit building. All credit building counselors will also be trained as coaches.
Requirements for the position include:
• Bachelor’s degree with a record of high academic achievement;
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills along with a demonstrated ability to think quickly and strategically when presented with a large amount of information
• Ability to learn, retain, integrate and apply new information on complex financial topics quickly and accurately
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously, and to operate in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to manage a client interview, data collection and data entry concurrently with a meticulous attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team
• Mature, professional demeanor that builds trust with clients and colleagues
• High degree of integrity and absolute respect for client confidentiality
• Ability and comfort level in leading one-on-one interactions in a variety of employer settings with employees from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of the pay scale
• Comfort leading educational workshops of varying sizes for groups of employees
• Proficiency with Excel and PowerPoint; familiarity with a data management system, knowledge of Salesforce a plus
• Ability to work nontraditional hours if needed as well as to work remotely and travel
• Ability to begin work by June 2018; option to start on a part-time basis in the interim a plus
Working Credit offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills
Please send your resume and a cover letter addressing your interest in Working Credit and how your academic and professional work to date have prepared you for this position to:
Working Credit NFP
No phone calls please.
We encourage individuals from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. Working Credit does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, age, or any other basis prohibited by law.